Why are you experiencing hair loss?
Another common question that I encounter concerns drastic hair loss while doing Keto. This can be very alarming and can cause a lot of distress especially for women.
However, hair fall is not exclusive to Keto. It can happen with any diet you do if your weight loss is too drastic and too fast. The main problem is nutrient-deficiency and too low calorie intake. This can also happen to people doing restrictive food fasts like egg fasting.
To fix this, you have to eat well, and eat enough for your body to thrive. This is the main issue, so you have to fix this so that you can give your body a chance to recover. Remember that hair growth takes a while, so you’ll have to be patient when it comes to growing your hair back.
- Calculate your macros and make sure that you are eating well and enough for your caloric needs.
- Make sure to include food rich in Biotin, Zinc, and Collagen. You can get this from beef broth, chicken feet, beef, red bell pepper, nuts, seeds, and leafy greens. You can also take supplements that include these micronutrients.
- Topically, you can mix aloe vera and castor oil and apply it to the roots of the hair. Leave it on for an hour and rinse off.
- When washing your hair, use a mild shampoo. Use only a small amount of product. Start the lather from the nape, avoid starting from the top of the head. Slowly and gently work your way up to the rest of the scalp. Avoid using hot water on your scalp.
- Avoid chemical treatments until your hair has recovered. Exposing your hair to chemicals does more damage than good.
- Consider getting a hair cut so that you won’t need to constantly comb or pull your hair from the root.
Almohanna, Hind M, et al. “The Role of Vitamins and Minerals in Hair Loss: A Review.” Dermatology and Therapy, Springer Healthcare, Mar. 2019, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6380979/.
McDonell, Kayla. “The 5 Best Vitamins for Hair Growth (+3 Other Nutrients).” Healthline, Aug. 2016, www.healthline.com/nutrition/best-vitamins-hair-growth.
Petre, Alina. “8 Common Signs You’re Deficient in Vitamins.” Healthline, Nov. 2019, www.healthline.com/nutrition/vitamin-deficiency.
Team, Wellness. “The Best Way You Can Get More Collagen.” Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic, Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic, 20 Feb. 2019, health.clevelandclinic.org/the-best-way-you-can-get-more-collagen/.